Saturday 15 October 2011

The PCO 2 year course has been given a project, called the personal project. The personal project reflects the process instead of the outcome. This assigned task has to be completed with a final product within a span of 10 months.

The first step is to identify my Topic Of Interest (TOI). My chosen TOI is "How do i create clothes”. For me, it was not difficult to choose my TOI because I had some directions in life. I have learned some useful tips in business class that i want to put into practice in this assignment. Problems in society can be disguised as business opportunities. Hence, i went to investigate the problems. One problem that teenagers face is the high cost of clothing and apparels which can be extremely overrated due to the limited brands. On the other hand, i have researched that retail therapy is widely common amongst people. It is very helpful for a short period of time to ease stress or cure the broken hearted. I understood how retail therapy took one to another whole new level of happiness. Thus, because of that i want to use fashion to bring a smile to other.
The second step was to identify my Area of interaction. Teenagers usually have difficulties expressing how they feel and some resort to outwardly express their feelings through dressing. I absolutely understand what these youth are going through as i am also a teenager. Therefore, not only would i want to create clothes, i want to create a purpose too. With this, I can impact the society by creating and designing affordable clothes for them. Unable to understand clearly of my AO1, i used google to help me to have a better understanding. In reference to this, my A01 would have to be Human Ingenuity.
The definition of Human Ingenuity: it allows me to focus on the evolution, process and products of human creativity and their impact on life and society. Human ingenuity provides opportunities for me to appreciate and develop in them the human capacity to create, transform, enjoy and improve the quality of life.

I first created a timetable to plan and organize my time and day. It provides structure and allows me to have a sense of direction in my daily life. Using this timetable table helps me to focus and keep track of my goals and responsibilities. I then create a timeline for 10 months and broke it down as it would be easier for me to achieve my goals. After 10 months i will be able to design and sew apparel. The specifications of this product questions the durability, wearability and ability to sell and to fit at least one person. With that, i have to ask a few of my friends to try on my product and ask for their opinion. I'll collate it for reference to how i can better improve my product. Lastly, in class I did a short presentation about my personal project to help my classmates have a deeper understanding why I have chosen this topic. I carried out a presentation with a hand written script, and with it i knew what exactly to say as it boosted my confidence. No slides or power point presentation were included, nor any pictures or videos to highlight the essence of my personal project. However, i fell short on that. That was an area i think i will have to improve in, to be able to capture the audience’s attention by the help of visual aids.


Since, I was a child, my aspiration was to be a fashion designer. My source of inspiration would have to be my mom. My mom was once a fashion designer and she made a huge impact on me because her interest in art drove me to pursue this dream of mine. Planning and doing this project was hard work, to stay disciplined and abide by my aims and rationale. I drafted up a time table hoping that at the end of the day i would not feel like i have not achieved anything. I abided by the time table for the first few weeks but as the weeks go by i started to fall off track. Being able to come up with my timeline taught me the importance of recording the process of my product. By keeping track of my process helps remember my purpose and goals. Based on my presentation, i think it was a success because i was able to hide my discomfort from my teacher and classmates and did my best to speak in proper english. I personally think that Kaiying and Linh did an incredible job presenting. Kaiying spoke well with confidence. Linh on the other hand, had good prezi slides to get the audience’s attention. I learnt many things from them such as the importance of visual aids. It helps to capture the audience attention and help them to keep track what you are talking about and try to engage to the audience by looking at them and speak less monotonously.


I found pleasure in doing this assigned task because learning more about fashion is what I enjoy doing the most. Albeit having experience in art, I must admit this is not an easy project because i have no background in sewing and designing apparel. All these said, i think that 10 months is too short a period for me know everything about the fashion industry. For example, characteristics of fabrics and fashion history. However, i am willing to learn anything and everything i need to know about the fashion industry from scratch. I would do anything from purchasing more fashion magazines, studying the trends, sketching of models to achieve my goal. With my perseverance and hard work, i think i will be able to complete this personal project. From this personal project, i think that it has provided me with greater insights. I learn that many a time in life, it is not about the destination but the journey. The significance lies in the learning process rather than how we learn it. When we learn how we learn, we can achieve many things in life. Also, consistency in updating my process journal keeps track of my process to help me remember my purpose and goals. This project helped me to learn many characteristics like being responsibility in meeting datelines, patience when doing this assignment and hard work pays off well. Up to this point, i must say that i am proud to have come this far and to be able to complete my entire given urgency in meeting the dateline given.

No comments:

Post a Comment