Saturday 1 October 2011

Presentation speech

Today, I will be talking to you about the process of my personal project. We were given this project since August and we were instructed to create a journal in a form of a blog to keep track of our process.

We write in our blog from week to week. After the first week of school and many lessons, I have been told repeatedly learning is process- driven instead of result-driven. We always have the mindset of reaching the destination instead of the on-going journey. As humans, we usually focus on what we learn rather than how we learn it and when we learn it, we can achieve many things in life

So, my chosen topic of interest would be How Do I Create Clothes. My inspiration came from my mom because she had a huge interest in art. And when I was young, she used to spoil me with art classes and what ever art material i desired. My interest in art grew and art gave me another place to escape reality. I found joy in art. And ever since then, i wanted a profession in the art industry. My aspiration is to be a fashion designer. As you all know, retail therapy is widely common amongst people. It is very helpful for a short period of time to ease stress or cure the broken hearted. I did plenty of retail therapies and it really did help me because buying new clothes took me to another whole new level of happiness. And because of that i want to use fashion to bring smiles to others. Also, teenagers may feel like it’s hard to express themselves or finding an identity of their own and some resort to wearing how they feel. Hence, not only would i want to create clothes, i want to create a purpose too.
Hopefully, this will impact the society. In reference to this, my Area of Interest would have to be Human Ingenuity. The definition of human ingenuity is: allows one to focus on the evolution, process and products of human creativity and their impact on life and society. I guess it fits my purpose very well.

A timeline was created to remember my purpose and goals. Breaking down the timeline to smaller parts would be easier for me to achieve my goal. Therefore In 3 months time,my goal is to research and find out more about clothing materials and designs through the internet and magazines. In 6 months: Learn and sew an apparel. And in 10 months I have to produce an apparel.

The specifications of this product would have to be it’s durability - will it rip apart?, is it wearable?, would it be able to sell and it should be able to fit at least one person


I must admit this is not an easy project because i have no background in sewing. However, i am willing to learn anything and everything i need to know about the fashion industry from scratch. I would do anything from purchasing more fashion magazines, studying the trends, sketching of models to achieve my goal.

After hearing my presentation, I hope you have a clearer understanding of not only what I am doing but why am I doing this. Thank you.


Reflection and Presentation
1. How did i present my work? Explain whether you thought it was successful or if it needed more work.
I had a handwritten script while presenting. With the script, i knew what exactly to say and it boosted my confidence. No slides or powerpoint presentation were included, nor any pictures or videos to help me emphasis on my personal project. Hence, i felt i fall short on that. That was an area i think i will have to improved in. To be able to capture the audience attention by the help of visual aids. On the other hand, i think it was a success because i was able to hide my discomfort from my teacher and classmates and did my best to speak in proper english. Not only that, i only prepared the night before, to get the marks i got i must say i am pretty satisfied although i know that it is not the best of my ability.

2. What did i think of other's work? Pick out a few examples and explain how these examples supported your claims.
Well, i think that my class did a good job. However, i know that they could do a lot better. Maybe it was because no one actually took this presentation seriously. All we knew was part of our personal project. No one knew it was going to be graded.I think the two best presentation came from Kai Ying and Linh. They both had the help of visual aids to support their presentation, which i did not. Kai Ying spoke with confidence and that was what i admire about her. She appears not to be afraid of public speaking. She was able to tell everybody what she was doing for her personal project pretty cleary. I especially liked Linh's presentation. I found it easy to connect to what she was going to do for her personal project because she made it very clear to the class. She spoke in detailed and with proper english. But what i think they can improve on would be scripting out what to say instead of reading from the computer or the projector screen. But i still think they both did a great job.

3. How should i learn from other presentations on what to do or what not to do?
There are plenty things i have learn what i should do from other presentation. Firstly,creating visual aids, it helps to capture the audience attention and help them to keep track what you are talking about. Secondly, present detailedly, if not audience will be able to understand. Thirdly, speak with proper english. Fourthly, try to engage to the audience by looking at them and speak less monotonously. Lastly, do not go off track when answering the question given. If unable to understand, ask politely to repeat the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment